Wednesday, December 5, 2012

#19 - A work in progress

#19: Finish a book a month. 

December 2012: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire.


This is a book that I started back in August after Brandon got it for me for my birthday, but it was slightly shunted to the side once I got The Casual Vacancy when it came out. Sorry, my love of Rowling just took over me.  Anyway, I liked this book.  It's a spin on the Cinderella story, obviously, and I really enjoyed it.  I expected there to be more magic in it (after reading Wicked, and the fact that it's Cinderella), and was surprised that there wasn't any at all. And my only real gripe was that the cover of the book was a scene from the last part of the book, so even though it wasn't in context, I knew a couple of things were going to happen once I read certain parts of the book.
However, at the end after the ball, I had a pretty big shock of "holy cow, did that really just get revealed? I didn't see that coming at all!" followed by a "...holy $#!%..." at the very end.
It felt like it stretched on for a while in the first 3/4 but I don't know if that was more due to the fact that I wasn't reading it on a regular basis. Quite possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment