Saturday, November 17, 2012

New Goals 21 - 30

You may or not agree (hey, guess what, it doesn't matter, because they're my goals!) but I'm not going to consider yesterday a skip because:
1. I had already written them down. I took my own advice and wrote them in a draft on Thursday night after I posted my last post so I didn't forget them.
2. I would have posted if I hadn't gotten a call from my new job saying "hey, can you come and do your orientation tonight? I know it's short notice, but you won't be able to do it for two weeks if you don't do it tonight" and then I didn't get home until late. And didn't remember until after midnight and I had gone to bed.

So without further adeu (is that how you spell that? I'm sure french isn't on my computer's spell check), here are my goals 21 - 30.

#21: Watch 30 movies off of Brandon's "list".
Brandon has a list of movies that he wants to watch with me and I am ashamed to say that we haven't watched any since we've been married. 30 is one a month, with a little room to breathe.

#22: Go on a week-long "media fast" every quarter.
I have an obsessive personality, and I am obsessed with media. Television, internet, video games, movies, my iPhone, Pandora, etc.  I understand that I need a break from these things every now and then, so for a week once a quarter I am going to take a fast.  I'll have to strategically time it so I don't miss anything important (midnight release of "the Hobbit", for instance {which is coming up soon!!!}, or during family vacation).

#23: Learn how to rotate a garden and then successfully do it.
I love to garden, even though I typically lose interest somewhere around the end of July. But I'd really love to learn how to rotate my vegetable garden so that I can get more nutrients into my soil (the old fashioned way).

#24: Buy Rosetta Stone and learn how to speak a new language.
When I originally typed this the other day, I said "how to speak Spanish and French" AH! Well, Spanish isn't really a "new" language for me, as I've taken 8 semesters of it, however, I am most certainly not fluent. But I would love to learn a new language, like French, Italian or Gaelic.  I doubt they have Gaelic on Rosetta Stone, though. I think I would eventually like to know Spanish, French and Italian. We'll see which one I learn first.

#25: Start a retirement fund (Ah!).
Oh my gosh, that's such an grown-up thing to do. I'm not a grown-up.  I'm an adult by age, I suppose, but I'm certainly not a grown-up.  I once read a quote by C.S. Lewis that said something about how he hoped that he never sunk down to becoming a grown-up. Oh, let me see if I can find it. 

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

 Okay,  okay, that doesn't say exactly what I remember it saying.  I remembered it more in a Peter Pan kind of a way.  None-the-less, I still don't feel old enough to be doing things like starting a retirement fund.  And that quote is certainly something to live by.  that is my life philosophy.  My brother said to me the other day that I was strange for doing things like listening to Disney songs on Pandora, but who cares! I like to sing along sometimes, darn it.  Right along with my Wicked songs.  And Into the Woods. Into the woods to Grandmother's house!  There are giants in the skyyyyyyyyy.
Moving on.

#26: Finally read "Paradise Lost" all the way through.
I've taken two classes where I was supposed to read this.  In-fact, one of those classes was a John Milton class...and I still didn't read it. I suck, let's move forward. I'll read it now.

#27: Buy an external hard drive.
We've had one before, but it crashed.  I want this primarily for my pictures. I suppose I have plenty of room on my computer...but I'd still like to have one.

#28: Go on 6 small weekend trips with Brandon.
It's not all about the huge trips, and I'd really like to start doing small weekend trips.

#29: Get up to date on scrapbooking.
 - SVU - Freshman Year
 - SVU - Sophomore Year
 - SVU - Junior Year, Part 1
 - Life in Burgaw
 - SVU - Junior Year, Part 2
 - Wedding
 - SVU - Senior Year
 - 2009
 - 2010
 - 2011
 - 2012
 - 2013
 - 2014
 - 2015
The thought of all of this freaks me out a little bit. But I WILL do this!

#30: Organize memory boxes.
I have tons and tons of memory things that I want to keep, but they are all shoved in cardboard boxes and I never look at them.  I really want to get those pretty boxes that are all the fashion right now and organize everything - which really goes along with my scrapbooking goal because those boxes have a lot of things that will end up in scrapbooks.

Now I have to come up with another 10 for today. Awesome. 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment